Undergraduate Admission Assessment and Counseling Tests


Scores from either the ACT or the SAT are required of all degree-seeking students attending Colorado Mesa University, except in certain cases as detailed below. CMU will super score multiple test scores for admission and scholarship determination. Test scores must be on file in the Admissions Office before official acceptance is granted. Associate and certificate seeking students are not required to have ACT or SAT scores on file but for most programs an alternative assessment test will be required prior to registration. A student’s attainment of a certain ACT composite score, or SAT combined score is one of several criteria considered for admission.

ACT and SAT test results also are used by the student and advisor as the basis for planning a course of study and as an aid in academic placement. Supplemental academic assistance is provided on a limited basis for those whose test scores indicate weaknesses or deficiencies in certain areas such as English and mathematics. ACT and SAT scores also may be used for scholarship consideration and institutional research.

The only exemptions to this admission requirement are for:

  1. Students who apply for admission to an associate or certificate level program;
  2. Students enrolled only in no-credit desired/audit classes;
  3. Students who have already earned an associate or baccalaureate degree at another regionally accredited institution;
  4. Students who are transferring from other regionally accredited colleges or universities with 24 or more semester hours of credit.

Prospective students are encouraged to take the ACT or SAT during their high school junior or senior year. Transfer students (unless exempt) are required to have their ACT or SAT scores on file in the Admissions Office prior to registration. ACT or SAT scores from a previous college or university are acceptable.

Assessment and Evaluation After Enrollment

Students are required to participate in testing and other programs necessary for evaluation and assessment purposes. Please see the Learning Progress Evaluation section under General Undergraduate Academic Policies.