Undergraduate Admission Procedures for Degree-Seeking Students

How to Apply

To be considered for admission, undergraduate applicants should:

  1. Submit the Application for Undergraduate Admission along with a $30 non-refundable application processing fee or fee waiver documentation.

    Prospective students are highly encouraged to submit applications electronically via Apply to CMU. Upon receipt of a completed admissions application and supporting documentation, applicants will be notified of their admissions status via the mail and by email.

    Students may submit their application for the following terms as early as:
    Spring semester 2021: May 1, 2020
    Summer semester 2021: August 1, 2020
    Fall semester 2021: August 1, 2020
  2. Submit the appropriate supporting documentation, as outlined in the table on the following page, directly to:

    Colorado Mesa University
    Admissions Office
    1100 North Avenue
    Grand Junction CO 81501-3122.

    Letters of recommendation and a personal essay are optional and should be submitted to the Admissions Office.

Students who do not submit ACT or SAT test scores can be considered for admission into the two-year division of Colorado Mesa University, Western Colorado Community College. If the ACT or SAT is more than three years old, or no ACT or SAT is submitted, the student will be required to complete the ACCUPLACER assessment for math, reading and English placement. Acceptable ACCUPLACER scores cannot be more than three years old. ACCUPLACER is administered by the university’s Testing Center. For questions regarding ACCUPLACER, please call the Testing Center, 970.248.1260. If you feel your placement does not reflect your skill level, contact IRIS at iris@coloradomesa.edu, 970.248.1177, or LHH 127. For more information on placement policy and options, visit Pre-Orientation-Testing.

For more information about admissions requirements, please also visit the admissions information page most applicable to the student's application status:


Students should provide a transcript evaluation form (available in the Admissions Office) or a transcript of all courses taken at the high school level. Students should submit transcripts of any courses taken at a traditional high school and may also submit a portfolio to describe their high school education.


Students who intend to transfer to Colorado Mesa University should contact the Center for Transfer Services, within the Admissions Office, for help with the admissions and evaluation processes. Transfer students may be admitted into most baccalaureate degree programs if they are in good standing at another regionally accredited college or university and have a total minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.4 for 24 or more college-level semester credit hours. In calculating the cumulative admission grade point average, Colorado Mesa University will compute a transfer GPA based on prior college transcript(s) including all college-level courses attempted, but excluding courses completed while in high school. If the student has attended more than one prior institution, the GPA of each is combined for a total cumulative admission GPA. For students seeking a baccalaureate degree, with less than 24 transfer credit hours, it is recommended they meet HEAR recommendations as outlined in the HEAR section of this catalog.

Transfer students who are on probation or suspension from another college or university, or have a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.4, will not be admitted into a baccalaureate degree program but may enroll in Western Colorado Community College. Transfer students who are on probation or suspension from another college may be placed on probation at Colorado Mesa University.

An unofficial transcript may be accepted for a conditional admissions decision for one semester. If a student is unable to obtain an official transcript due to an outstanding financial obligation at another regionally accredited institution, then they must also provide a copy of a repayment plan as issued by the school on official school letterhead. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Admissions Office to be considered for full admission per Colorado state wide admissions policy. Failure to provide all official transcripts may result in a reversal of the conditional admissions decision. All official transcripts should be received no later than the midpoint of the first term of attendance. A registration hold will prohibit registration for future semesters and will be removed once all official transcripts are received. To be considered official, the transcript must be sent directly from the previous institution to Colorado Mesa University.

An official evaluation of transfer courses is made once the student is fully admitted. Credit evaluations are completed in the Registrar’s Office, with the assistance of academic department heads.

Also see Admission of Transfer Students for more details.