Initial Teacher Licensure

Students already holding a Bachelor’s degree or higher may pursue an initial teaching license at CMU in Elementary, Secondary, or K-12 Physical Education. Secondary licensure may be obtained in: Science, Social Studies, English, Mathematics, or Spanish.

For students pursuing coursework and preparation that leads solely to an initial teaching license, the Center for Teacher Education offers an intensive post-baccalaureate preparation program that can be completed in 12 months. The same coursework is also available at the undergraduate level in a 4-5 semester sequence at a somewhat slower pace. Either of these options lead to a recommendation for Colorado's initial teaching license with successful program completion.

The initial teacher preparation coursework can be incorporated in the MA, Education degree, allowing a student to complete teacher licensure and a master’s degree in five semesters. For this option, the coursework begins at the post-baccalaureate initial teacher licensure level and includes internship experiences. The Master of Arts in Education core content follows in the second year; these courses are shown in the Graduate Education programs section. Students can complete the master's courses at a slower pace spread out over several years.

First steps, prior to formal application, require review of bachelor's degree or other previous coursework transcripts. Leveling courses may be required or a passing content Praxis score prior to admission into the graduate program. Please contact the Center for Teacher Education at 970.248.1786 for more information or see the Center for Teacher Education website.

Elementary ITL

Secondary ITL

K-12 Physical Education ITL

Up to nine credit hours may be taken as non-degree seeking and later applied to program requirements. Up to nine graduate credit hours of applicable courses, with a grade of B or higher, may be transferred from a regionally accredited institution into the master’s degree program. Courses for transfer must be approved by the CTE Graduate Committee to meet program requirements. MA core classes are not accepted for transfer.