Master of Science in Sport Management
The Master of Science in Sport Management serves to develop students’ conceptual skills, theoretical comprehension, and practical knowledge in order that they are prepared to become the next generation of leaders in the sport industry. The degree leads to a wide variety of career choices. Sport management graduates work in school, university and college settings as athletic administrators, public relations/marketing directors, or in professional or amateur sports areas.
- Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must achieve a score of 385 or higher on the Miller Analogies Test or a score of 286 or higher on the Graduate Record Examination (850 on the old exam) (verbal and quantitative) or 380 on the GMAT. Students must request the scores be sent to the CMU Admissions Office.
- Applicants must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on the most recent 60 credit hours.
- Applicants must provide a formal Statement of Goals that should explain in at least 500 words why they want to be admitted into the program and what they plan to do with the degree.
- Applicants must provide a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Applicants must provide two letters of recommendation from individuals who can speak to the applicant's academic potential and professional capabilities. One should be from a university faculty member who is familiar with the applicant's work as a student. One should come from a supervisor in which he/she has evaluated the applicant's current or prior work.
Conditional Admission Requirements
- Students not satisfying the unconditional admission requirements may be conditionally admitted to the program pending satisfactory completion of the first 9 semester hours with a 3.0 grade point average.
- Students not satisfying conditional admission requirements will be dropped from the program for one calendar year, after which time the student must petition for readmission.
For a complete list of program requirements, please see the program sheet.