Acceptance of Transfer and Alternative Credits

It is the policy of Colorado Mesa University to accept academic credits from:

  • All public colleges and universities in the state of Colorado, provided they are currently regionally accredited. This applies regardless of the institution’s accreditation status at the time the credit was earned.
  • Private and out-of-state colleges and universities, provided the institution is currently regionally accredited and was accredited or was a candidate for accreditation at the time the credit was earned.
  • Regionally accredited two-year community or junior colleges.
  • Regionally accredited institutions that award “S” or “P” grades, if the granting institution states that such grade is equal to a grade of “C” or better.
  • Regional accrediting bodies are:
    • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
    • The Higher Learning Commission
    • North Central Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Southern Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  • gtPathways, Colorado guaranteed general education transfer courses (see Catalog section on Colorado Department of Higher Education Statewide Guaranteed Transfer Courses).
  • Colleges and universities outside of the United States, provided the institution maintains the equivalent of a regional accreditation and individual transcripts have been evaluated by World Education Services or another NACES-approved member.

To receive transfer credit, an official transcript must be sent directly from the institution that granted the credit to Colorado Mesa University Admissions or Registrar's Office. Only courses with a grade of “C” or better are eligible to be applied toward a degree or certificate.

Colorado Mesa University reserves the right to evaluate, on a course-by-course basis, any credits earned 15 years or more prior to enrollment. Initially, only courses used to fulfill essential learning requirements will be accepted in transfer. Other courses will be transferred upon acceptance by the department head within the major. Additional transfer information is available on the Transferring Credit web page.

Alternative Credit

Alternative credit includes other methods, such as:

  • Military Credit
  • Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams
  • College Level Examination Progam (CLEP) and Dantes (DSST) Exams 
  • Credit for Prior Learning Portfolio

For military credit and exams, an official transcript must be sent from the source directly to the CMU Registrar’s Office.

More detail on the credit and credit guidelines can be found in the Undergraduate Academic Policies section under "Non-Traditional Credit" section.

Other Transfer Credit Policies:

Technical credits: refer to the requirements for the Bachelor of Applied Science degree under Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees and Certificates.

Transfer of final credits for degree completion: refer to the section on Final Credit Requirements Taken at Another University under Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees and Certificates.

Graduate credits: refer to the section on Transfer Credit under Graduate Programs.